Highly activated carbon for marine and reef aquariums
Red Sea REEF-SPEC™ Carbon is the ultimate choice for marine & reef aquariums due to its unique technical characteristics.
Red Sea REEF-SPEC™ Carbon’s granule size and its micro/macro porous structure, ensures a very high total adsorption capacity and rapid extraction of the specific organic pollutants that are found in Reef aquariums.
REEF-SPEC™ Carbon has extremely low phosphate leaching and minimal ash content while also not affecting the pH of aquarium water.
Red Sea REEF-SPEC™ Carbon needs replacing less frequently than carbons that are not reef-specific or are of a lower quality and represents an effective, cost-efficient solution for providing the very best water quality in marine & reef aquariums.
- Rapid removal of organic pollutants
- High total adsorption capacity
- Ultra-Low phosphate output
- Ultra-Low ash content
- Suitable for Marine & Freshwater
- Filter Bag included
|BFA Item #
REEF-SPEC™ Carbon Specification Table
|0.6 – 2.3 mm flakes
|Pore Volume (PV)
|Total Surface Area (TSA)
|Small organic molecules adsorption
|Large organic molecules adsorption
|pH in distilled water
Tips on using Reef Spec Carbon in a reef aquarium
The adsorption activity of the carbon media relies on a good carbon/water contact and therefore moderately active water flow will increase the efficiency. Strong water flow will reduce the contact time and interfere with the adhesion process of the organic molecules to the carbon. Strong water flow may also cause the granules to grind against each other, releasing carbon material to water.
For best results:
- Remove any fines, by rinsing carbon under tap water.
- Due to air trapped in the pores carbon will float and therefore it is recommended to soak the carbon in RO water until all of the air has been released.
- Place the carbon in a location with an active flow of 1000-1500 lph (250-400 gph) per 50 gr carbon.
- Replace carbon every 1.5 – 2 months. Note: When carbon becomes saturated with organics, it may start adsorbing some of the trace elements from the seawater.
Organic load and yellow tint removal: The recommended dosage of Red Sea’s REEF SPEC Carbon is approximately 50 gr (100 ml) per 200 L (50 gallons) for a period of 1-2 months for a moderately stocked reef aquarium.
Post-medication treatment: The recommended dosage of Red Sea’s REEF SPEC Carbon to adsorb medication residuals is approximately 100 gr (200 ml) per 200 L (50 gallons) for a period of a week.
Ozone post-treatment: The recommended dosage of Red Sea’s REEF SPEC Carbon to remove residual ozone is 50 gr per 50mg/hr of ozone injection. The carbon should be placed at the ozone reactor/ protein skimmer outlet. Carbon should be replaced once it has reached approximately 50% of its original volume.